Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Photographing the work.

Choosing display options for the best photos is an art in itself. Starting out, I didn't worry about it much, but just wanted a record of what I had done. 

That hasn't changed much. I still take photos of my work because I want a record of completed projects. At least now, I'm getting a better idea of what's good and what's terrible.
After I invest in some items to help with lighting and mood, my photos will improve, I hope.
 

At least they don't still look like this:

 While Dutch Brothers has stylish coffee mugs, they might not be the best choice for art display.  


And when you need to lay a piece out to show off it's design, best not to use the towel you have laying around as the background texture.
 Kleenex.  The clean surface of the tissue is uniform but WHITE WHITE WHITE.
 Let's focus on the problem here.   Or not.  Oh and lighting.  Better lighting please.
 This is me trying to find my happy photo shooting place and, nearly there, but not quite.  I may be working on the ideal spot for some time to come.

Oh and conflicting patterns.  The material should be matte and plain, contrasting the jewelry piece, but also should disappear under it.  Patterns are disruptive of design.  This material swallows the design in this bracelet. 




I've invested in a photography tent, some layout material and hope to soon find something to add a bit of texture for a support.  Some people use display hands, busts and other human-looking parts, but I probably won't go that way.
I've seen river rocks, foliage and all sorts of other backgrounds artistically arranged behind a piece, but so far, I haven't found my voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment